Hot Stuffed Banana Peppers
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- USE RUBBER GLOVES when handling the banana peppers! I usually use disposal latex gloves since i have to go back and forth between the sausage and the peppers. Cut the tops and bases off the peppers essentially making a tube.
- Place the peppers on a large baking sheet(with sides) in the oven with apprx 1/4 c of olive oil. I usually spread the oil on the sheet adn roll the peppers in it. Allow them to soften an blister slightly apprx 15 minutes Turn once during cooking.
- While they are cooking, I put the hot sausage in a large frying pan and cook apprx 3/4 way done(rest will get done in oven as you don't want to dry it out too much). Let cool and crumble.
- Remove peppers from oven and allow to cool slightly. Turn oven down to 350.
- While the peppers are cooling, in a large mixing bowl add the egg, cooled crumbled sausage, garlic, pepper, breadcrumbs and cheese. Mix with hands.
- Take the peppers cut lengthwise down middle. Remove the ribs and seeds with paring knife.
- Place in apprx 4 tbsp of olive oil in 9x13 casserole dish with apprx 4 tbsp of sausage mixture each. Line up side by side until all are in pan. Top with apprx 1 c shredded mozzarella mixed with shredded(not grated) parm or romano cheeses. You can also cover with sausage spaghetti sauce if you wish. I like just the plain rolls.
- Bake covered for apprx 20 mins or until cheese bubbly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!