Hot Dogs Waco Style
This is our favorite way to eat hot dogs. Everybody has their favorite, and there are certainly many ways we enjoy dawgs...but this is DH and my favorite on a given evening! Rudy's BBQ sauce from Texas is our fav, we have it shipped by the case. MMMMM! Amounts are approximate - add to suit your tastes. These are rich and filling, if you eat two you may not need a side dish! :) The jalepeno or serrano is optional for the days we feel like a little spice!
- Ready In:
- 4 hot dogs (we prefer Nathan's or Hebrew National all beef)
- 4 hot dog buns, the bigger the bun the more stuff it can hold (Stadium or outdoor rolls work great)
- 4 -6 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup walla walla onion, chopped (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup tillamook brand sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced (we like grape and roma tomatoes best on these)
- rudy's brand barbecue sauce, to taste
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (optional)
- Grill dogs to desired doneness; a little char can add nice flavor!
- Toast buns if you like, then layer ingredients ~ sauce, dog, cheese, bacon, onions and tomatoes (pepper if choosing the spicey version).
- Add more sauce if needed. (Goes great with your favorite beer).
- Dig in and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Just general comments from my years of "hot dogging". 1. You will find that the pork and beef dogs are much more flavourable than all beef, which I find dry and greasy at the same time (???) 2. The BEST dogs are deep fried - not boiled until the flavour is gone or burnt on a grill. Use clean oil and don't put too many in at once. Advice regarding oil temperature - about 350 F works well but most home fryers aren't very accurate. Use a good pot and a thermometer - don't rely on the readings of a home fryer. 3. Baking in an oven on a grate works well too - put a cooling grate on a pizza pan or something similar and you'll even get grill marks on the dog. 4. Wrap bacon around the dog and pin it with toothpicks for a real treat. Nothing like a good tube steak :)1Reply