Hot Buttered Chicken
photo by Yorky1000
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 kg skinless chicken breast
- 125 g thick set natural yoghurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (50 mm)
- 8 green cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 10 dried chilies
- 8 peppercorns
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 piece gingerroot, coarsely chopped (25 mm cube)
- 6 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 225 g butter
- 400 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- cinnamon stick, broken up (100 mm )
- 150 ml single cream or 150 ml plain yogurt
- Wash and dry the chicken and cut into 50 mm x 25 mm cubes.
- Grind the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, dried chilies and peppercorns to a fine powder.
- Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and ground spices and beat until smooth. Add the chicken, mix, cover the container and leave in the refrigerator for 4 hours or overnight.
- Liquidise the onion, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste and mix in the salt. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat and stir fry the onion/ginger/garlic paste for 1 minute. Add the marinated chicken and stir fry for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato puree and butter and cook on a low heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and keep aside.
- Mix the tomatoes, cinnamon and cayenne pepper in a separate pan, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and increase the heat to medium. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes until the liquid is reduced a little. Remove from the heat and allow the tomatoes to cool slightly.
- Sieve the cooked tomatoes and discard the cinnamon. Add the tomatoes to the chicken and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Gently stir in the cream (or yoghurt) 1 tablespoon at a time then simmer, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!