Hot Apple Cider
- Ready In:
- 6 cups apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup real maple syrup
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 1 orange peel, cut into strips
- 1 lemon peel, cut into stripes
- Pour the apple cider and maple syrup into a large stainless steel saucepan.
- Place the cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, orange peel, and lemon peel in the center of a washed square of cheesecloth; fold up the sides of the cheesecloth to enclose the bundle, then tie it up with a length of kitchen string.
- Drop the spice bundle into the cider mixture.
- Place the saucepan over moderate heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the cider is very hot but not boiling.
- Remove the cider from the heat.
- Discard the spice bundle.
- Ladle the cider into big cups or mugs, adding a fresh cinnamon stick to each serving if desired.
Join The Conversation
This was one recipe that I knew we would really enjoy. Went to a local orchardabout 15 miles away, that actually picks the apple off the trees, and can make you the actual apple cider right in front of you. Enough of that .. This was absolutely GRRREAT !! Made recipe as posted, and would definately recommend this to anyone seeing that apples at least here are in season. Plan on repeating this later this week. Made for Recipe Swap #45.
I prepared 1/3 of this recipe which made enough hot cider to take on my x-country ski trip today. I really enjoyed it on my lunch break. When I made this I didn't bother with tying the ingredients up in cheesecloth. Instead I used a sieve while pouring it into my thermos. Made for the Comfort Cafe- Snow Queen Round 01/10