Horn and Hardart Baked Beans
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 40mins
- We are talking dried beans here people.
- Place the beans in a large saucepot and cover with cold water. Let stand overnight at room temperature. You can also quick soak. Boil the beans a minute or two. Turn off the heat. Cover. Let stand for an hour. When the beans are soft they are ready to cook.
- Place in an 8-quart saucepot. Cover the beans in fresh water then bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the beans are almost tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- Return the beans with the other ingredients and the 1 cup reserved cooking liquid to the pot; mix to combine. Pour into a 9x13x2-inch baking pan or a Dutch oven.
- Bake, uncovered, until very tender, approximately 4 hours.
- Check the beans occasionally while baking and add water if necessary to prevent the mixture from drying out.
- Season with salt and let cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are the beans I remember from my NY roots. One change - I live at 4500 feet and beans have been almost impossible to cook tender. Just learned to cook UNSOAKED, rinsed and sorted beans in lots of water with about a half teaspoon baking soda for about 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Didn't change anything else. Excellent recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
AND that is the end of this. If the phone doesn't ring? It's me. If you are looking to ask me a question? I'm not here. I won't answer. I do not assure you that the ingredients, amounts or even the directions in any recipe under my two accounts are correct due to the bad directional pointer in the database that is causing problems with the amounts or ingredients. I will also NOT assure you they are correct when the site claims they are fixed. Use at your own risk. They will be correct on my site. End of story. Sigh.. OK IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR JESSIE'S KEY LIME PIE? Google the name. It's all over the net. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not. - Eric Hoffer And no I didn't let the door hit me on the ... on the way to my site at <A HREF="http://chef.philocrates.tripod.com">Philocrate's recipes </A> where at least I can take responsibilty for mistakes in recipes.