Horchata (Ground Rice Drink)
- Ready In:
- need also Large Capacity Blender (7-8 Cups).
- Place rice in a bowl with enough hot water to cover.
- Let sit overnight on counter.
- Next day, remove the water.
- Place rice, 1/2 cup fresh water and 2 cups milk in a blender until rice is all ground up.
- Add sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Blend.
- Add the remaining two cups milk, and 1/2 cup water.
- Strain through thickly layered cheesecloth (more than once may be necessary; do NOT squeeze the cloth).
- Chill and serve. Makes approximately 6 cups.
- Note: This is a favorite for youngsters of all ages. Also, the rice starch in this drink is an excellent way to "put out the fire" on your tongue while eating hot/spicy meals. In summertime, add crushed ice to drink to make a slushy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!