Hoppin' Habanero-Lime Chicken Fajitas
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons habanero sauce (to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 onions, quartered lengthwise and peeled (1 lb. total)
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and warmed
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- lime wedge
- In a 1-gallon zip-lock plastic bag, combine lime juice, tequila, oil, cumin, oregano, 6 tablespoons hot sauce, and garlic. Add chicken and onions, seal, and chill at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Combine tomatoes and 1/4 teaspoon to 1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce; set aside.
- Oil a barbecue grill over a solid bed of hot coals or gas grill on high heat (you can hold your hand at grill level only 2 to 3 seconds). Lift onions from marinade and place on grill. Close lid on gas grill. Cook onions for 3 minutes, turn, cook a couple more minutes, then turn over and baste with marinade.
- Lift chicken from marinade and place on grill; close gas grill. Turn and baste chicken and onions occasionally until onions are soft and browned and meat is no longer pink in thickest part (cut to test), about 8 minutes. Transfer chicken and onions to a board and keep warm.
- Heat tortillas on grill, turning once, until softened and lightly speckled brown, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Slice chicken crosswise. Place portions of chicken, onions, and beans in tortillas. Top with tomatoes, sour cream, and a squeeze of lime. Fold up bottom of tortillas, then fold in sides.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a native Californian, born in the Los Angeles area, college in far northern California and now living in southern part of the San Francisco Bay Area. I love kids and animals. I am an active volunteer at my two teenage daughters' high school as well as a Girl Scout leader. We have two guinea pigs, one Dalmatian, one cockatiel, and one quarter-horse to keep us busy. I had a career as a marketing writer before I became a full-time mom and volunteer, but I still write all the time as well as participate in a monthly book club. I stay active and have Jazzercized for over 25 years on a regular basis. I also am trying to do some yoga now and ride horses for fun. I have loved getting involved in the RecipeZaar games and learning how to post the photos. I am currently playing on the Zaar World Tour and it is lots of fun! Have been a sports fan since childhood and definitely have enjoyed getting to know about hockey since we have a very successful NHL franchise in our area: Go Sharks! <img src="http://static.flickr.com/1310/902139984_71e1ab56a5.jpg" width="399" height="270"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa130/nowsonexitmusic/bumbag5.gif?t=1211686551"> <img src="http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p241/CulinaryQueen/zaargroupie.gif" width="300" height="220"> <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/bugh8er/food%20and%20swaps/400035_d7f1b969-m3_1217872626.png" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/de.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/kiwidutch/My-3-Chefs%20banners/my3chefs2008Small.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/123hitwonders.jpg" width="399" height="150"> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/holiday-tag2-copy.gif" width="399" height="140"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"width="290" height="140"> <img src="http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j10/housedaughter/fg.jpg" border="0" alt="F and G Swap">