Honey Spice Streusel Muffins
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
For the streusel topping
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, left at room temp for 10 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats, not quick cook
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
For the muffins
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup natural yoghurt (you can substitute Greek yoghurt)
- 2 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 12 hole muffins tin.
- Make the streusel first: place all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and rub together until combined and crumbly. You're looking for very coarse breadcrumb size with some larger lumps. Leave to one side.
- Pour melted and slightly cooled butter into a jug, then add honey, vanilla and eggs. Beat lightly until combined. Leave to one side.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices into a large bowl and stir until combined.
- Add in the butter and honey mix and stir briefly. Add in the yoghurt and then stir until the batter is combined and smooth. Don't be tempted to beat/over mix as your muffins will be rubbery.
- Divide between the muffin holes, filling them level (I use a heaping 2tbsp cookie scoop).
- Spoon streusel topping on each muffin and press lightly into the muffin mix, so it doesn't all fall off!
- Place in the oven for 13-15 minutes, until risen, golden and an inserted skewer into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cook in the pan for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve either at room temp, or warmed with a little butter.
- Muffins will keep in an airtight container, at room temp, for 4 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!