Honey Spareribs, Irish Style
photo by kiwidutch
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 5 lbs pork spareribs
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned)
- 1⁄2 cup demi-glace (or concentrated chicken broth)
- 1 cup Irish whiskey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Put ribs in a large pot or Dutch oven and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until fork-tender, about 1 hour, skimming water occasionally to remove foam. Transfer to a large baking pan. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic in oil until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients except demi-glace or concentrated chicken broth and bring to a boil. Cook until sauce reduces by half, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the demi-glace or concentrated chicken broth.
- Pour half the sauce over the ribs and bake, turning once, until the ribs begin to brown, 30 to 40 minutes. Serve 4 or more ribs per person with remaining sauce. Serves 4 to 6.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm rating this without stars for the moment because DH 's wee dram before bed extended the bottle of Tullimore Dew that I thought I had hidden away for recipes (er wrong, obviously not hidden nearly well enough!) and I only had bearly 1/3 Cup left for this recipe. The ribs cooked up wonderfully but I'm sure that the taste would have been even better with the other 2/3rds of the whisky in, so it's on the shopping list and I will review this better once I have made it again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I live in Northern California in the town of Placerville. It's a one hour drive East to Lake Tahoe or one hour West to our State Capitol, Sacramento. Great location. <br /> I have been overdue for an update!!! 1/10 <br /> My Boy's are doing well. Nick is still in Australia and Jon is still here at home. They both graduated high school last year. I hope NIck will come to the US for college, Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo!!! (we'll see) He may stay down under for college :( <br />Jon is working and figuring out life....he plans on being an entrepreneur im sure. <br />We have two dogs, Jewel and Bob both adopted from the local shelter. They love each other. <br />I love spring and fall the most and love being outdoors. <br />My Boss passed away last year :( I miss him soooo much. <br />This last year has been very hard for me. <br />I am doing better now. <br />Hoping 2010 brings lots of health and happiness to all :) <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><a href=http://photobucket.com target=_blank> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></a> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo /> <br /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/callylanne/candy.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-Participant.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/craze-e2banner.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /></p>