- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
Whipped Honey Butter
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- For Topping: In a small bowl, cut butter into sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- For Muffins: Line muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg, brown sugar, oil, honey and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture alternately with sour milk, stirring after each addition until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Gently fold in the chopped rhubarb and the chopped nuts.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake in a 325º oven 35 to 40 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from pans.
- Serve warm or cool with Whipped Honey Butter.
- Whipped Honey Butter: In a small mixing bowl, combine butter or margarine and lemon peel.
- Gradually add honey, beating with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
- Store, covered, in refrigerator.
- Let butter spread stand at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
WOW....fantastic!. I had to make up for a shortfall of brown sugar so, I subbed half white sugar and added 1 1/2 tbsp (45ml) of molasses. I also baked it about 45 min in a 8x8 pan rather than muffin tins. My rhubarb was thawed from the freezer so I used 4 well squeezed hand fulls. When mixing I mixed all the wet ingredients very well, folding in the flour mixture gently and carefully folding in the rhubarb. This is definitely going into my menu rotation as I freeze rhubarb from my garden. I'm also thinking of adding cardamom or nutmeg next time.