Homemade Turkey Pot Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cubed
- 3 -4 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup potato, diced & peeled
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a food processor, combine flour and salt; cover and pulse to blend.
- Add cheese, pulse until fine crumbs form.
- Add shortening and butter; pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- While processing, gradually add water until dough forms a ball.
- Divide dough in half with one ball slightly larger than the other, wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 30 minute.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, saute the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in butter for 5-6 minute.
- Add broth; cover and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and milk until smooth.
- Gradually add to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened.
- Add the remaining ingredients; simmer 5 minute longer.
- Roll out larger pastry ball to fit a 9-inch pie plate; transfer to pie plate.
- Trim pastry even with edge.
- Pour hot turkey filling into crust.
- Roll out remaining crust to fit top of pie; place over filling.
- Trim, seal and flute edges.
- Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until crust is light golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a wife, a mother and grandmother, I love to bake and I love to can (water-bath and pressure). My family and I live on 5 acres, we now have chickens and ducks and who knows what else we'll add in the future. My favorite meal to make and eat is soup.