Homemade Tomato Sauce
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A thick, sweet tomato sauce made from scratch.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 roma tomatoes, woody stems removed
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, and onions, cook on medium high heat until onions are soft and caramelized.
- Add tomatoes in a single layer, along with garlic.
- Pour in enough stock to cover tomatoes 2/3 of the way up.
- Stir in tomato paste until desolved.
- Occasionally roll over tomatoes for even cooking, until the skins of the tomato start to fall off.
- With a wooden spoon crush tomatoes, and continue to stir until tomatoes break down into bite sized piece and the stock has reduced by about half.
- Now, break out the siv and put it on top of a large bowl.
- Now, ladle in some of the sauce and push through the siv with a wooden spoon, occasionally scraping the bottom of the siv. You'll notice that the onion, tomato, and even the big chunks of garlic get pushed through, leaving behind the tomato skins.
- Do this in batches till you've sivved all of the sauce.
- If the sauce is still too thin, return to the sauce pan and reduce until desired thickness.
- Turn off heat and stir in extra virgin olive oil, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION