Homemade Spinach Noodles
photo by MoggyK9
- Ready In:
- Put spinach and salt in blender. Pulse a few times until finely chopped, not totally a clear liquid.
- If cooked mashed carrots 1 1/2 cups, if cooked mashed sweet potatoes, 1 1/4 cups.
- (The salt brings out the water in the spinach).
- In large bowl, add flour.
- Make a well in the middle, a deep hole.
- Add beaten eggs, margarine and spinach mix (or carrot or sweet potato mix.).
- Fold the flour in all four direction over the well.
- Then add the water.
- Keep folding the flour over and over.
- If it is too wet, add 1/4 cup flour. Then use hands to mix.
- Knead dough with the back of your palms until it becomes smooth. If it is sticky, add a little more flour.
- Form into a large ball and place in a bowl.
- Cover and let rest for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide dough, into 3 portions. Turn out each portion on a floured board, roll to.
- about 1/4 inch thickness. Put through a pasta machine if you have one. If not, try to roll out to 1/8 inch thickness and cut.
- Into 1/2 inch wide noodles. You can dry in the air, I prefer to dry on a tray in the oven at 200°F--it is faster. I turn the noodles a few times before they are dry.
- Note: Some spinach has more water. If it has larger leaves it contains more water than smaller leaves.That is why you need the addition of more flour if needed.
- Store in a air tight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Eh. For some reason this didn't work for me. I think I need more clarification on drying time? I did the oven option on 200. Perhaps I didn't flatten them enough. Boiled them too soon. Not sure. I don't think I'll try again. A lot of work without a pasta machine. My husband enjoyed them but he'll eat anything.
We've had these twice now. My spinach hating spouse LOVES them - he went on and on about how tasty they were. I served them last night with Chicken Piccata - it was an awesome meal. <br/><br/>One thing to note - I would suggest not adding all of the water at once, I only needed about 1 tablespoon of water because of the water in the spinach - if you add the full 1/3 cup you will probably need to add quite a bit more flour, I did anyway on my first batch. Thanks for a great recipe.
Thanks very much for telling me about your spinach noodles! Just wonderful!! The dough was really nice to work with.. I even got my DH to roll it out and he cut the noodles for me. :) My son thoght it was really cool to eat "green" noodles. I'll be making this again along with your other noodle recipe that I've made many times already.. I served http://www.recipezaar.com/148713 over them. Thanks again.
I gave this recipe to a friend to try so I will post her comments for her. She said this was awesome that her kids loved it. Even the two year old ate the whole bowl full. She is going to experiment with carrots and sweet potatoes next just subbing out the spinach. I will be trying it this weekend and will post my feedback too.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My husband & I built our dream home after our children were raised.We didn't hire a contractor, we pounded every nail and board and shingle on it.I have lots of stories to tell about that adventure. My passion is cooking, my grandchildren and living each day like it were my last. I love to drive the big rigs. I lived all over the world for a time and collected dolls and cookbooks. I write poetry. My other passions are the outdoors, country living, the sunrises and sunsets,to give to others more than I receive as it says in the Bible. As I get older I am less judgemental.I hope I have helped someone each and every day. Every day is an adventure! <br /><br />Event Participation! <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/RSC%20Banners/RSC11-SueL-FirstPlace.jpg alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /></p>