Homemade Spicy Pickled Green Tomatoes
I first made these little gems for my husband, who loves anything spicy, on year when we had an especially large crop of tomatoes. Now I have to plant extra tomatoes to make sure I have enough to make this specifically!
- Ready In:
- 30 -40 small green tomatoes (I used Juliette)
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cut into discs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- distilled white vinegar
- Fill two clean, quart canning jars with bite sized green tomatoes. Any variety you prefer is fine, as long as they're green. I used Juliette tomatoes here, but have also used Cherry and Sweet 100, all successfully. Distribute sliced onion, jalapeno slices, red pepper flakes, and minced garlic evenly between the two jars. Wipe the rims clean with a damp paper towel.
- On the stovetop, boil the rings and lids for the jars in water for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, heat distilled white vinegar until boiling. (Be sure you have enough to fill the jars. - Any remaining vinegar can be poured back into the container after it cools.) Pour hot vinegar into pre-packed jars leaving 1/4 inch space at the top of each jar. Secure one lid and ring per jar, and leave on your counter to cool. The lid will make a single 'pop' sound as it cools, letting you know that it sealed properly. For Best results and flavor, let it sit at least a week before eating -- If you can wait that long.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
+ Hope I did my 2 photos correctly. Did 2 batches at end of garden. 1st batch was last week, opened on day 8, Haven't been able to keep myself away from the jar. Gave one to my sister, she has her's all gone. Dad used to make these when he was alive and mom found the recipe the other day. Same as yours but had sugar. That is what the onion is for, to curb the bitter of skin away. I did use dry onion flakes cause i'm almost out of onions and don't want to 'run' to the store. 2nd batch is made to order from friends and family. Some with loads of garlic, 2 qts regular, 2 half pts 'child mild' and the vlasic jar is catch ya on fire hot. Thank you so very much for posting. This is a jem and newbie and old timer canners can do it. Going to use this as a base for all my picking from now on. No salt/sugar, so safe for special diets. People, don't be afraid of green tomatoes, they are a blank slate for good eats...:)Reply