Homemade Sausage Rolls
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
24 sausage rolls
- 1 lb minced lean pork
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons cold water
- In a large bowl, mix together pork, parsley, salt, pepper, fennel, nutmeg and cayenne to taste.
- In small saucepan, melt butter and cook onion until softened and translucent; add to pork mixture and stir well.
- Cut pastry into 2 portions; roll 1 portion into 18x6-inch rectangle.
- Shape handful of pork mixture into sausage shape about 1 inch in diameter; place along long edge of pastry.
- Continue to shape pork mixture until long edge of pastry is filled with half the pork mixture.
- Roll up jellyroll style.
- Dampen edge of pastry and seal.
- Place roll, seam side down, on tray and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- With sharp knife, cut roll into 1-1/2 inch lengths.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling.
- Preheat oven to 450F (230C).
- Place rolls seam-side-down on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Beat together egg yolk and water and brush over tops of rolls.
- Bake at 450F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375F (190C) and bake for 15 minutes longer, or until golden.
- Let cool, then freeze rolls in single layer on baking sheet; package in airtight containers and store in freezer.
- Do NOT thaw before reheating.
- To reheat, bake frozen sausage rolls in single layer on baking sheet at 425F (220C) for 20 minutes or until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!