photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
12 Quarts approx.
- Heat all of the above ingredients except cabbage.
- Shred cabbage (a cake pan full at a time), pack cabbage in jars as tight as you can.
- Pour hot liquid over making sure to"burp" out any air bubbles.
- Wipe rim of jar and put lid on.
- Keep out of direct sunlight and preferably in garage, it will take 1 1/2-2 months to ferment.
I always make ths sauerkraut and is fantastic!! Other than being messy to make it is very easy. I usually make about 15 quarts and it keeps forever! I just used a quart I found that is at least 3 yrs old. Rinse it well before cooking and I usually fry mine up with diced bacon and onions sauted in a fry pan. We love it!!