Homemade Garlic Cheddar Cheese Bread
photo by Hadice
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- Heat milk and butter to 120°F Combine half of flour, yeast, sugar, salt, milk and butter mixture, cheese, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Knead with a mixer fitted with a dough hook at highest speed for 3 minutes.
- Add the rest of the flour and continue kneading for 3 more minutes.
- If the dough seems too sticky, slowly add more flour until the stickiness is corrected.
- Place dough in a greased bowl, and spray the top of the dough with cooking spray.
- Cover and let rise for one hour.
- Punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide dough in half and form one loaf each in two greased 9 x 5 inch standard loaf pans.
- Cover the pans with plastic wrap and allow dough to rise for 45-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Bake loaves for 10 minutes; then turn oven down to 350F and bake for 30-35 minutes longer, until the breads are browned.
- Cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes; turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool for a minimum of 5-10 more minutes so the bread firms up enough to be cut.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Since I only had time to throw ingredients into my breadmaker, I had the bright idea to try using only chunks, in the hopes that they would remain visible in the loaf. No such luck; they melted in beautifully. My loaf rose so nicely, and looked perfect when we took it out. We were in the middle of dinner and couldn't wait for it to cool, so it got a bit smooshed. But it sure tasted great--I especially loved the crust! The crust has a very buttery texture--could that be because of the cheese "melted" into the bread? Who knows?
This is a very tasty bread. You are able to taste the garlic, although it's subtle, not overpowering. You cannot, however, taste the cheese, and since I'm a cheese freak, it was a bit of a disappoint for me. The loaves baked up beautifully, and fresh baked bread is one of my favorite scents. Recipe was made as directed, but in the future I will be adding more cheese to satisfy my cheese jones.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I married straight out of college in July of 1992. I work as the Assistant Manager at a wine shop which allows me to drink on the job! (OK, not that much, but it's still a fun job...) Besides helping customers choose wine they will like (and also help with food and wine pairings for their menus), I also get to help with the catering end of the business, so I get to spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen making fun appetizers and beautiful food displays. I also work part-time at the fromagerie next door. So yeah - that means I eat on the job, too. :^D We live on several peaceful wooded acres on a cute little river in rural NE Wisconsin, with a cranky old-lady Burmese and whatever stray outdoor cats that have decided to adopt us on any given day. The cute puppy in the picture is Jake, our Elhew-bred English Pointer that we brought home on Easter weekend 2007. I've also got 2 painted turtles named Dennis and Fuzz, and a bunch of fish (koi and goldfish, along with the guppies & swordtails in the turtle tank). I USUALLY eat and cook healthy, but I rarely pass up dessert, either. I do not eat red meat, and try to limit other animal products, too. I love to bake, although I seem to collect a lot of scone and biscotti recipes which I NEVER get around to making. I bake and eat A LOT of cookies and muffins... I almost always reduce the sugar by 1/4 and use whole wheat pastry flour for at least part of the flour. Those two changes do so much to make recipes healthier without compromising taste. I try to reduce fat whenever I can, too, but while I want to eat healthy, I still want to ENJOY what I eat!!! I seem to give a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews here - I seem to have a pretty good sense of what I like by looking at a recipe before I try it. Thank you to anyone that tries my recipes in return, or photographs them. Amber: <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/amber2.jpg"> ........And a grown up Jake (one year old in January 2008) :) - <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/JAKE111307.JPG"> Charlotte (May 27, 1992-June 1, 2009): <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/Charlott.jpg"> Ashley: Adopted October 8, 1996 - Passed Away January 6, 2009 <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/ashley2.jpg"> Mike: September 26, 1994 - March 19, 2004<img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/mike1997-lr.JPG">.... <a href='http://www.niftymaps.com/visitor-map.php?id=36321'><img src='http://i.niftymaps.com/36321.png' alt='Click to zoom in on my visitor map!' border='0'></a>Create your free world <a href='http://www.niftymaps.com/' target='_blank'>visitor maps</a>