Homemade English Chocolate Pudding
photo by I'mPat
- Ready In:
- 3 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped finely (you can use anything from generic chocolate chips to a high quality chocolate, you get what you pay )
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream, to garnish
- chocolate shavings, to garnish
- Scald milk in a saucepan over medium low heat (bring it almost to a boil in a thick bottomed saucepan, stirring constantly). Remove from heat, immediately add chocolate and stir until it has melted.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a large bowl. I would get these ready in the bowl before I prepare the milk.
- Add the warm chocolate milk mixture in a slow stream, whisking contents in the bowl constantly and then pour mixture back into pot.
- Cook gently over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Divide pudding among six ramekins or small bowls, cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours and up to 2 days. Serve puddings topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made for a 4 serve recipe but got 6 serves, my sweet bowls are small but only used 1 large egg (the recipe called for 1 1/3 scaled back to 4 serves) and used a good quality Lindt milk chocolate but the taste of the chocolate did not come ouut as much as we would have liked, will consider a dark chocolate next time (even the DM agreed to this one and usually prefers milk chocolate in recipes hence why I used milked chocolate) but still very enjoyable, thank you Nif, made for Went to Market tag game.
What's not to like? I decided to use a double-boiler so my pudding wouldn't seize up on me, since I sometimes have a problem with that. Lots of stirring, but with the double boiler, I was able to run open the door or answer the phone without horrible consequences! Delicious pudding. Thanks for sharing! Made for ZWT8.
see 1 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I love great food and I particularly like trying cuisines new to me! Although I don't prepare as much food as I used to, creating in my kitchen is still one of my favourite things to do. Enjoy!