5-Ingredient Chili Powder
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Place cumin seeds into a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Toast the seeds, moving the pan around constantly. This will take approx 3 to 4 minutes, you will smell the seeds toasting. make sure not to burn the seeds. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- Place all ingredients into a coffee grinder or a blender and pulse until all ingredients are a fine powder.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I can't wait to use this in a recipe. Toasting the cumin seeds smelled so good. I used a coffee grinder, that hasn't been used for coffee, to grind the mixture into a fine powder. I doubled the recipe to share with a friend. After the mixture was ground I felt that the smoky paprika was a little overpowering. To counter that I added 2 tsp extra garlic powder & 1 extra tsp of oregano. That helped quite a bit, but next time I think I may try the regular paprika instead. Thanks for sharing! Made & reviewed for Pick-A-Chef Spring 2008.