Homemade Baked Beans
- Ready In:
- 15hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs dried navy beans (4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 - 2⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Soak beans overnight in cold water (enough to cover the beans).
- In the morning, pour off water and boil beans with baking soda in water until skins crack when blown upon.
- Cut onion in quarters and put in bottom of large casserole dish.
- Add beans.
- Put bacon on top of beans.
- Mix together sugar, molasses, mustard and salt with a pint of water.
- Pour over beans.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 6 hours or more.
- Can be frozen!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!