HOMEMADE APPLE SAUCE
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (to taste)
- Prep apples and if making a lot, squeeze a little lemon juice to prevent from browning. In a saucepan over medium heat, pour the apple juice and bring to a gentle boil. Add apples, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes or until apples are soft, stir often. Last 5 minutes of cooking, cover with a lid.
- Remove from heat and mash mixture using either a fork, potato masher, immersion blender or food processor, until desired consistency is reached . Taste sauce and if needed, add sugar to taste - can also add a little ground cinnamon, freshly grated lemon or orange zest, a splash of lemon juice or Calvados, a pinch of ginger, cloves nutmeg or a little butter. I am a purist….
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for about a month. Pour into sterilized jars, then 15 minutes in hot water bath for pint-sized jars or 20 minutes for larger jars. Makes approximately 2 cups.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.