HOMEMADE ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE
photo by clubfoody
- Ready In:
- 5 lbs pork shoulder, silver skin removed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup dry milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons garlic, pressed
- 3 tablespoons creole seasoning (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons mild paprika (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons smoked paprika (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon curing salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, ground
- 1⁄3 cup dry red wine
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except casings (you will need 3 hog casings, rinsed). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 days. *Don’t be shy with spices as the meat will absorb most of them, making the sausage weaker in taste.
- When ready to grind, remove meat from fridge and process. Cover with plastic wrap making sure it touches the meat, and transfer to the refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes or until meat is cold again.
- Place hog on a lightly greased nozzle, remove meat from fridge and process, making sure casings are not over stuffed. Prick meat on both sides. To make links, press where link should be made and turn the casing one way. Repeat with the next casing but twisting the opposite way.
- There are three options….
- - If wanted to smoke sausages, dry the casings for 2 hours on a drying rack or wire rack using a fan. Place in a smoker or BBQ for 3-4 hours using wood chips. If using a BBQ, place links on indirect heat source at 160ºF.
- - If cooking right after making them, refrigerate until ready to cook. Add a little olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and cook for 12-14 minutes, flipping every 2 minutes (using a net for preventing from splatting).
- - If cooking on the BBQ, grill links at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes flipping every 2 minutes.
- For 2 lbs. of meat, it makes about 8 sausages (1/4 lb. each) and it's good for 4 people. Five pounds of meat will make 20 sausages therefore 10 servings. Also if there's any leftover casings which there probably will be, put them in a container, add plenty of salt, close the lid and transfer to the refrigerator. They will keep for a long, long time!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
clubfoody.com is about combining fresh ingredients, herbs and spices. This is a fun destination for foodies who love new recipes complete with videos and kitchen tips.