Home Style Cabbage Rolls
photo by Cleanfreshcuisine
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (golden or black)
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (ground chicken or turkey can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 16 large cabbage leaves
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄8 cup lemon juice
- tomato sauce, one 29 oz. can
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large stockpot, steam cabbage leaves in about 2″ of water over medium high heat until limp, about 3-4 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. With a sharp knife, cut out heavy center vein of leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef with chopped onion; add eggs, Worcestershire sauce, cooked rice, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano. Mix well by hand. Add raisins and combine.
- Place about 1/2 cup of meat mixture on each leaf. Fold in sides and roll ends over meat.
- Place stuffed cabbage rolls in a large (I use a 12″ x 16″ x 2″ pan for 16 rolls) but if you are cutting the recipe in half, use a 9″ x 12″ x 2″ baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice. Whisk together and pour evenly over the cabbage rolls. Sprinkle with remainder of the dried oregano.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with whipped potatoes and a crisp green salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Kyle and I am a Mom, a chef, a blogger and an event planner