Holiday Fruit Drops
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
These are chewy dropped cookies with a wonderful brown-sugar flavor. They're just ideal for Christmas. Recipe from one of the little recipe pamphlets Pillsbury used to include in their bags of flour at Christmastime.
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups light-brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans or 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 cups candied cherries, halved
- 2 cups cut-up pitted dates
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Reserve.
- Cream the softened butter and add the brown sugar and eggs. Beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the buttermilk, vanilla, and flour mixture. Mix well. Stir in the nuts, cherry halves and cut-up dates.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls on lightly greased cookie sheets. If you wish, you may top each cookie with a nut half for decoration. Bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
To lower the calories and fat (54 calories and 2 grams of fat per cookie) I changed this cookie a bit. Affected is the butter, brown sugar, eggs, nuts, and fruit. 1/2 cup butter, 1 cup applesauce, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup splenda, 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, and about 15 maraschino cherries cut into small chunks, and 1 cup walnuts. No candied cherries or dates. For decoration I added a halved maraschino cherry on top of each cookie. I really liked it. I got 66 cookies instead of 36 using a tsp. as called for. WW 1 point per cookie.Reply