photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
7 half pint jars
- 1⁄4 cup flor de jamaica dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened apple juice or 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 lemon, juice (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 3⁄4 ounces dry pectin
- 5 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 inch fresh gingerroot, peeled will give a nice kick
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed, will give warmth
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Steep dried blossom in boiling water off heat adding any optional ingredients if using. Steep for 1-2 hour over night is fine.
- Prepare boiling water canner and lids and jars.
- Strain steeped liquid twice the second time through a coffee filter. Discarding solids.
- Place all ingredients but the sugar in a large heavy pot bring to a rolling boil.
- Add sugar and return to a rolling boil.
- Ladle into sterile jars leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe rims clean and apply lids and bands.
- Process in a hot water bath covered by 1-2 inches of water for 10 minutes.
- Shut off flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove without tilting the jars.
- Set on a flat surface in a draft free place 12-24 hours.
- Remove bands and wipe jars.
- Label and store in a dark place for 1 year.