Hg's Faux-Fried & Fabulous Calamari - Ww Points = 4
- Ready In:
1 serving of calamari
- 4 ounces squid rings, raw (not breaded)
- 1⁄4 cup Fiber One cereal (original)
- 3 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs (like the kind by Progresso)
- 2 tablespoons liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- reduced-fat parmesan cheese, grated
- lemon wedge
- low-fat marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consisten cy. Pour crumbs into a plastic container that has an airtight lid (or into a sealable plastic bag). Add panko, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, and salt. Add as much pepper as you like. Seal and shake to mix thoroughly.
- Make sure calamari rings are as dry as possible. (Use a paper towel to soak up moisture.) Place them in a dish, and pour egg substitute over them. Toss to coat evenly.
- Transfer rings to the crumb mixture, and secure lid or seal bag. Shake until rings are thoroughly coated, and then place rings on a baking sheet sprayed with nonstick spray. Open any rings that are sticking to themselves.
- Bake calamari in the oven for 15 minutes, flipping them about halfway through, until firm and fully cooked. If you like, sprinkle with Parm-style topping and serve with lemon wedges and/or marinara sauce. YUM!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!