Hermits (Better Homes and Gardens 1969)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1/2 cup clabbered milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups raisins (seedless)
- 1 cup dates, cut up
- Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift dry ingredients; add to creamed ingredients alternately with buttermilk.
- Add nuts and fruits. (If you're using a stand mixer, go slowly; this will be hard on the motor.).
- Drop by heaping teaspoons onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 about 10-12 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!