Herbed Hamburger Pie With a Cornbread Crust
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1 cup onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/4 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- Brown the meat in a pan coated with cooking spray.
- Blend the flour into the meat juices.
- Add the potato through salt.
- Cover, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the thyme through garlic powder.
- Place in a 2 quart casserole.
- Prepare the corn muffin batter according to package directions for cornbread and spread over the meat mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes, uncovered, at 375°F.
Join The Conversation
I made this on the spur of the moment. As I was making it my neighbor came in, copied the recipe and took it home to make it the same time. I made mine with ground turkey, all ingredients listed but chose the minced garlic & the dried thyme and I chopped the onions instead of rings.I used 2 boxes of Jiffy corn mix because it didn't look like 1 would be enough. My neighbor used ground beef and followed directions except she didnt have the muffin mix so she used 1 package of cheese biscuit mix. So in comparison, we liked the onions chopped, the jiffy mix, but only 1 pkg (2 was too much, maybe use 1 1/2 and bake up put the rest), the cheese bisquit topping was too dry, Both Turkey and Beef were ok. I did add a touch of oil when browning the turkey and seasoned it with montreal steak seasoning. I don't think you can mess this up. I put a plop of sour cream on my serving. The guys liked it with hot sauce.
A delicious easy to make hamburger pie. My DH kept saying Damn this GOOD. I made it using more flour 1/4 cup and 2 1/2 cups beef broth as we like a lot of gravy. Also add 1/3 cup frozen peas, you could add corn. Then topped it with prepared Jiffy cornbread, this made more than enough cornbread for 2 people. I will be making this again & again so good & easy. Thank you Edith.