Herbed Country Breakfast Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 3 -4 diced medium russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil or 3 tablespoons canola oil
ADD-IN FRESH ONION
- 1⁄2 medium chopped mild yellow onions or 1/2 medium red onion
ADD-IN FRESH HERBS
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaf (roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon fresh leaf thyme (roughly chopped)
OPTIONAL ADD-IN FRESH HERB
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh sage leaf (finely chopped)
OPTIONAL ADD-IN FRESH PEPPERS
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any or all colors)
SEASONING BEFORE SERVING
- fine sea salt, to taste
- WASH 3-4 medium russet or red potatoes (or PEEL if desired); dice to 3/4-1 inches; SET aside.
- CHOP 1/2 mild medium yellow or red onion; SET aside (also chop about 1/2 cup of tri-color bell peppers into 3/4 inch squares if desired); SET aside.
- REMOVE leaves from 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary and 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme and roughly chop (about 1 teaspoon of each); SET aside (also finely chop 1/2 teaspoon fresh sage if desired); SET aside.
- TOSS potatoes in a bowl or on a large cutting board with 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and 1 pinch ground cumin.
- HEAT 3 tablespoons light olive oil or canola oil in a very large non-stick saute pan over medium-high heat.
- ADD potatoes into skillet and fry, turning occasionally with a spatula until lightly golden; REDUCE heat to medium.
- SPREAD chopped onion over potatoes (and bell peppers if using) and cook, turning as needed until softened.
- SPRINKLE fresh rosemary, thyme and parsley over mixture, and cook, turning as needed until potatoes are golden brown and crisp; REMOVE from heat.
- DRAIN potatoes on paper towels; SPRINKLE with fine sea salt to taste, tossing potatoes to distribute seasoning evenly.
- SERVE potatoes hot with your favorite main dish and condiments; ENJOY!
Join The Conversation