Herbed Cheese Tortellini Topped With Bruschetta
photo by tmossinger
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes
- 1⁄2 of a fresh white onion
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
Herbed Cheese Filling
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 2 large egg yolks
- salt and pepper
- pasta dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- fresh rosemary
- Let's make the Bruschetta topping first since it can sit for the longest,.
- First dice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch sized pieces without mashing them up and put them in a large bowl.
- Next finely chop the onion and add that to the bowl also.
- Mince the garlic and toss that into your bowl.
- Then chop 4-6 leaves of the basil and add that to the bowl.
- Toss in your Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper and mix them together thoroughly.
- Finely cover and place in the refrigerator until you drop your tortellin into the water *The bruschetta should be around room temperature when you put it on top of the tortellini*.
- Next let's prepare the Herbed Cheese Filling;.
- First place all your ingredients together in a medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Then cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Now let us prepare the Pasta Dough;.
- First mix your Flour, Egg Yolks, Salt, and Olive Oil together in a large bowl until the mix forms a ball.
- Then place your dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed for about 10 minutes.
- Tightly wrap your dough with plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the dough in half and re-wrap one half until finished with the first *then repeat from this step for the 2nd half of the dough*.
- Flatten the dough into a rectangle until it is able to fit into your pasta maker and run it through gradually decreasing the thickness until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
- Then cut the dough into 3 inch squares.
- Now make the egg wash with the egg whites from the filling and about 1Tbsp of water then brush on each tortellini.
- Place about 1Tbsp of Herbed Cheese Filling on each tortellini and fold together ensuring to get all of the air out from between the pasta.
- Now the finishing touches on the meal;.
- Boil a large pot of salted water on the stove and add about 12-24 tortellini to the pot.
- Boil the tortellini for about 4 minutes and then drain and arrange them on your plate.
- Next top each tortellini with some Bruschetta.
- Finally garnish with a little sprig of fresh Rosemary and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!