Herb Seasoned Squash Bake
Pop grows squash and zucchini every year and I'm always on the lookout for new ways to eat it. I like this recipe because it's different from frying. I'm sure it will be an excellent alternative to the same old way you've been eating your squash too. You can also sub in zucchini...it's good too! This can be divided between two small casseroles and frozen.
- Ready In:
- 6 cups summer squash, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) carton nonfat sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, boil the squash and onion in salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Combine the squash, chicken soup, and sour cream.
- Toss the stuffing mix with butter, sage, and onion powder.
- Butter a 2 quart casserole dish. Layer half the stuffing in the bottom. Sprinkle half the cheese over the stuffing. Spread the squash over the cheese and top with remaining cheese and then the remaining stuffing.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I chopped the onion and cooked it with the squash; then when I added the squash to the chicken soup mixture, I added the onion at the same time, because they were all mixed in together. (The instructions say just to add the squash but I wonder if they don't mean to add the onion with it.) Like da Kitchen, the other reviewer, I omitted the onion powder. I also cut the amount of butter in half. The result was an excellent no-fuss vegetable casserole that was really enjoyable.Reply
This is so tasty! I used a combo of yellow squash and zucchini and boiled them with a whole large Vidalia onion. Because I used so much onion I omitted the onion powder. Everyone liked this dish a lot! Even my squash hating DD gives it 4 stars, but since I'm the one rating this, I'll give it a full 5! Thanks Redneck for a great new summer time favorite.Reply