Herb and Sesame Scallops With Orange and Fennel Salad
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 head fennel, thinly sliced plus fronds
- 12 sea scallops
- 2 teaspoons salt, separated
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper, separated
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, separated
- 1 navel orange, supremed
- 1⁄2 lemon, zested and juiced
- On a flat dish, combine parsley, thyme, sesame seeds, 1 tablespoon of the lemon zest, and only the fronds from fennel. This will be your seasoning for the scallops.
- Make sure to pat dry the scallops, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Roll the sides (NOT the round-flat sides) of each scallop in the herb mix (like rolling a penny across the table), and set aside until pan is hot.
- Heat up skillet (cast iron is best) and barely coat with olive oil. When skillet is nice and hot, sear flat sides of scallops for 2 minutes per side until opaque and slightly spongy, but not too firm. You want them to cut like soft butter with a fork.
- Set scallops aside, keeping them warm with a foil-tent until salad is ready.
- Time for salad -- Place sliced fennel in bottom of serving bowl and top with orange supremes.
- Add remainder of the lemon zest and juice over the salad.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Toss gently and place onto serving plates.
- Place seared scallops on top, and serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!