Hearty Oatmeal Raisin Bread
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups oats
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 - 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins
- Heat water nearly to boiling.
- Combine oats, molasses, brown sugar, shortening, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg and pour hot water over mixture; cool this mixture to lukewarm.
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water and let stand for 10 minutes; add to oat mixture.
- Beat in 2 cups whole wheat flour and beat; then stir in remaining 1 cup and enough all-purpose flour for dough to leave sides of bowl.
- Knead 10-12 minutes, adding flour to make dough smooth. Add raisins (I add with the flour).
- Shape into a ball; rise until double, punch down and put into pans.
- Rise again, then bake at 375°F for 15 minutes, then at 350°F for 45 minutes or until done.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">