Hearty Beef Stew
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
America's Test Kitchen
- Ready In:
- 11hrs 45mins
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme (or 1 t. dried)
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus extra as needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce (I would use low sodium)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (4 lb) boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 lb carrot, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced 1-inch thick
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, tomato paste, garlic, and thyme; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits and smoothing out any lumps; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in beef broth, soy sauce, and bay leaves.
- Season beef with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker.
- Toss potatoes and carrots with remaining tablespoon oil, season with salt and pepper, and wrap in foil packet.
- Lay foil packet on top of stew.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Transfer foil packet to plate; let stew settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat using large spoon; discard bay leaves.
- Carefully open foil packet, and stir vegetables with any accumulated juices into stew.
- Stir in peas and let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes (adjust stew consistency with additional hot broth as needed).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION