Heart Healthy Borscht With Beef
photo by DayJahView
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean stewing beef (cut in bite-size pieces)
- 6 potatoes (washed, peeled, cubed)
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 cups celery (chopped)
- 12 cups cabbage (shredded)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beets (sliced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons beef base
- 2 teaspoons salt (lemon-pepper)
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 5 bay leaves
- 12 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a slow cooker. Simmer on high ( about 4 to six hours) until vegetables are tender stirring occasionally. Serve hot with a dollop of plain fat-free yogurt, extra parsley seasoning and either oyster crackers or rye bread. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Prior to my ever hearing about the movie Julie and Julia, realeased August, 2009, I came up with an idea to make 52 different Sunday dinners at my house over the course of one year. Present would always be my saintly common-law husband Peter, my beloved 29-year-old son Elijah and his ever-thoughtful girlfriend Sabrina carrying my precious grand-darling Arianna along with any family or close friends who happen to be in town. I only half realized the great challenge before me as I tended to eat a very limited diet on a day-to-day basis. Thanks to Recipezaar I've simplified this challenge somewhat with the ingredient search engine alone. While never copying anyone's recipe exactly, I've been inspired by the volume and variety of delicious-sounding dishes at my fingertips. I Thank all contributors for taking the time to share. I'm approaching week 34 tomorrow. Thus far, based on the kids' weekly ratings, I have two five stars!! I'll publish them soon. In the meantime, Happy Cooking!