Healthyier Bacon and Egg Pie
photo by hard62
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons reduced fat margarine
- 250 g lean bacon, trimmed of fat and diced
- 3 spring onions, finely diced (or 1/4 cup chopped chives)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 medium eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C Lay a sheet of filo pastry on a large board. Brush very thinly with melted spread. Lay another sheet on top and repeat until you have a pile of 6 sheets. Use this to line a large baking dish (about 25x 30cm) on the bottom and up the sides.
- Sprinkle with bacon, spring onions and frozen peas. Lightly whisk eggs with salt and black pepper. Pour over other ingredients.
- Make another stack of 3 filo pastry sheets, fold in half and place the folded stack carefully on top of the pie. Trim or fold in edges as required. Pierce pastry in several places (with a knife or fork) to allow steam to escape. Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce temperature to 180°C Cook a further 40-45 minutes, until pastry is golden and the filling feels firm when tested with a knife. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Variations - Add tomato: Slice 2 medium-sized tomatoes thinly and place slices on top of bacon before adding spring onions and frozen peas. - Add potato: This is good if you have leftover potato. Chop into small chunks and add to pie with peas and spring onions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!