Healthy Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup spinach, frozen (then thawed)
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- put mug of water with ice in fridge first to get nice and cold.
- mix flours and salt.
- in a 1/3 cup measuring cup i added the 1 tablespoon flax, 3 tablespoons water then topped off with the canola oil. mix
- cut it in with a pastry cutter or knife, until pea size chunks occur.
- then 1 tablespoon at a time of the iced water, fluff in with a fork until it looks moistened and all starts forming some nice little golf balls. about 3.
- gather into a ball.
- on floured surface roll out into circle big enuf for your pie dish. 9 inch i think.
- roll around rolling pin then roll out on top of pie dish.
- prick with fork.
- cover loosely with foil.
- bake at 450 for 7-8 minutes.
- reduce heat to 350 after crust is done.
- for stuffing.
- saute onion, garlic til translucent and a little caramelizing.
- thaw spinach(i microwaved) squeeze out water.
- either saute shrooms with onion, or i steamed via microwave(covered bowl in microwave for 1-2 minutes).
- add spinach and steamed shrooms.
- spread into pie dish.
- mix eggs, salt pepper spices milk in a bowl. dump into pie plate, gently mix.
- sprinkle with the cheese.
- bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a food junky. I also work very hard to eat a healthy varied diet. Almost every weekend i'll spend several hours experimenting to make a delicious nutritious new handful of recipes. When i'm not cooking i'm looking for the next hiking/camping/ backpacking/kayaking trip to take. I swear I'm solar powered. I have a beautiful dog who accompanies me on nearly all trips. I also have a wonderful husband whome holds down the fort until my return. My poor hubby does not have a healthy food palate. He provides me plenty of challenge trying to find healthier (but not obviously) savory foods.