Healthy Scallion Pancakes
- Ready In:
- Thoroughly mix flour and starch in a bowl. Using a fork, mix in the boiling water; add the cold water and mix with your hands until all the flour is incorporated.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a long rope. Cut the rope into 8 piecess. Cover all pieces but one.
- On a floured surface, roll the piece of dough as thin as possible without tearing. Brush with sesame oil, sprinkle with scallions and salt.
- Roll up jellyroll-style. Coil the roll like a cinnamon bun. Roll out the bun until 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat with other pieces of dough.
- Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. "Fry" each pancake, about 1-2 minutes per side, until the dough puffs up a little and becomes crispy.
- Serve as soon as possible - though they're good cold, too.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were pretty good! Will be making them again, just a couple of things that stopped me giving it five stars. I found I needed nearly half a cup of water more - I know this varies but my greenhorn cooking friend followed the instructions exactly and it didn't work for him - so be prepared. Made sure you chopy your spring onions wafer thin or even better if you can get dried spring onion (negi) from your local asian supermarket these work very well. Last thing and its only a teeny tiny crit (honest) in the UK we dont have jelly rolls so I had no idea what "roll up like a jelly roll" meant and had to come up with my own method (roll flat and cut out rounds) Can we have world wide translations please :-)