Healthy Caramel Apple Muffins
These moist, delicious muffins will be the highlight of the lunch box! NOTE: This recipe has been tried and altered since the last review so some measurements and techniques the reviewer listed are no longer applicable =] The chopped caramels are optional but really add to the flavours!
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 1⁄2 tablespoons caramel topping
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 6 tablespoons flax seeds (ground)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely chopped apples (bitter)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped soft caramel, rolled in flour to prevent sticking together
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat oil, apple sauce, sour cream, sugar, and caramel topping until well blended. Mix in egg whites (can be subbed for 1 egg+one white) until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Mix flours, oat bran, flax seed, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add dry mixture to wet and stir just until blended. Gently fold in apples and optional chopped caramels into batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter into muffin cups that have been coated well with cooking spray. Sprinkle tops with additional brown sugar.
- Bake for about 13-17 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Great muffins, perfect for a fall snack or meal! I love the healthiness of the recipe and my kids didn't even guess that this was one of Mom's experiements to get them to eat better. I used 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend rather than 1/2 cup regular. No food processer here, so I ground the dry ingredients in my blender..worked well. I ended up with 6 regular sized and 3 jumbo muffins. Thanks for the healthy version! MERP'd for Fall PAC '08.1Reply