Healthy Black Bean Soup
- Ready In:
- 2 cups diced onions (or 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans (do not drain)
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt or 2/3 cup sour cream
- In a medium pot, sauté onions in olive oil until they are soft and translucent.
- Sprinkle in cumin and garlic and sauté for a minute; pour in black beans (including juices), salsa, and lime. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer. Simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt. Chili and Lime Tortilla Chips or other white corn tortilla chips go nicely on the side.
Join The Conversation
This soup is easy, filling, and healthy; what's not to love? I do recommend using a good-quality salsa for this (like the fresh refrigerated salsa). It's a very flexible recipe as well. If you want it hotter, just add cayenne or chili powder along with the cumin. This makes a great hot lunch. Thanx!