Healthy Big Apple Muffins
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces whole wheat flour (about 1 cup)
- 5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (very large fuji or honeycrisp,tart)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 450f. Grease and flour or line your large cup muffin pan.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg, set aside.
- In a seperate bowl mix the oil, egg substitute, vanilla and sugar.
- Then mix in the lowfat buttermilk gently.
- Gently stir in the dry ingredients and fold in the apples until just mixed.
- After filling muffin cups sprinkle the top of each muffin with a little brown sugar.
- Divide the batter evenly (3/4 full) among the muffin cups. Use a large cup muffin pan and this recipe will make 6-8 large muffins (depending on your pan).
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 400 f and bake an additional 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes before turning them onto a rack to cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Just added my first child to my family in June 2008. I am learning to be a good mom and homemaker and it is a real challenge, but a great one! I love to cook and try new ideas. I also love the outdoors, travel, live basketball, running, hiking...etc!! I am a southern girl at heart and I love being a housewife. I love all types of foods and I love to re-make recipes into a more "healthy" versions.