Healthy (Believe It!) Cinnamon Toast
My mom used to give us decadent cinnamon-sprinkled toast, with butter or margarine to make the cinnamon-sugar stick. Now that I'm vegan and needed a butter alternative, I ended up creating this! Still has a dreamy flavor, but won't hurt you or the cows!
- Ready In:
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (use raisin bread for a special treat)
- 1 small banana
- 2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (generous)
- Mash the banana (easiest with a fork in a shallow bowl) to make the luscious "banana butter". Toast the bread.
- In a jar, combine the flax, sugar and cinnamon and shake till well mixed. You may want to add more sugar- this combo had just the right sweetness for me.
- Spread some of the mashed banana on each slice of bread, and generously sprinkle each with flaxen-cinnamon sugar.
- Enjoy with a cold glass of rice or soy milk and a fruit bowl.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
The "banana butter" is an ingenious idea! It is healthy AND delicious! I like to use Earth Balance buttery spread to make vegan cinnamon toast, but this is a wonderful change. I will definitely make it again. The flax seeds are also a really good idea: healthy, but you wouldn't know it. I used raisin bread.