Healthified Party Pizza Appetizers
photo by januarybride
- Ready In:
- 1 lb chicken Italian sausage
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 lb processed cheese (use Light reduced fat Velveeta)
- 1 -2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (I use 2T)
- 1 -2 tablespoon ketchup (I use 2T)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 dashes hot sauce (optional)
- cocktail rye bread (I prefer pumpernickel but it's up to you)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a medium baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Arrange cocktail rye bread slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place ground sausage in a skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain (if necessary - mine had no fat) and return to pan.
- Dump in the mushrooms, Worcestershire, ketchup, oregano, garlic powder, hot sauce and the cubed cheese; decrease heat to medium and stir until melted.
- Place approximately 1.5 tablespoons of the mixture on each slice of cocktail bread and spread slightly (but don't put it all the way to the edge to avoid runoff).
- Bake in the preheated oven 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisp.
- Feel free to freeze these AFTER baking for serving later - they are awesome heated from the freezer too!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!