Healthier Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Clone)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
An attempt to recreate a healthier version of an Olive Garden favorite. If you use sausage with fennel seed, you can omit the aniseed.
- Ready In:
- 3 (32 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
- 3 pieces bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion white, diced fine
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch spinach or 1 bunch kale, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, fat-free
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 1 dash red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- In a large stock pot, cook the bacon until somewhat done.
- Add the onion and saute until almost caramelized (golden color).
- Add chicken stock and water, then bring to a light boil and add potatoes.
- Cook Italian sausage (with casings removed) separately in a skillet.
- When nearly done add garlic to the pan and cook until sausage is done and the consistency of ground beef.
- Add mixture to the stock.
- When the potatoes have softened, gently press some of them to the side of the pan to thicken the soup; leaving some whole.
- Add fat free half and half, spinach, salt, aniseed, and peppers.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION