Healthier Refried Beans
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder (or other chili powder)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2⁄3 cup low sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and chili powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the beans and chicken broth and cook until the beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- Mash the beans coarsely with the back of a wooden spoon, adding more chicken broth to moisten, if needed.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in the cilantro.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation