Hazelnut-Espresso Sandwich Cookies
photo by Breezytoo
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 40mins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup finely ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 3⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, yolk, espresso granules and vanilla.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture mixing well. Stir in hazelnuts.
- Divide dough into thirds; flatten each portion into a circle. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one portion of dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 1 1/2 inch cookie cutter; place 1/2 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake at 375* for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- FOR FILLING: in small saucepan, bring cream to boil. Remove from heat; stir in milk chocolate chips and 3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips until melted. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or until filling reaches spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
- Spread filling over the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Melt remaining semisweet chocolate chips; drizzle over cookies.
- Let stand until set. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These are WONDERFUL!!! I made them for my husband, who likes hazelnut desserts (I don't), and was surprised that I loved these too. The cookie part is sort of soft, nutty, so delicious with the espresso powder; the ganache is amazing, together they are just REALLY REALLY GOOD! I found the recipe in my Cook's Country December/January 2014 issue, where this was a finalist in their Christmas Cookie Contest, and it looks like it took first place in several other contests too. Highly recommended!!! PS If you have that magazine issue, the winning Dulce de Leche and Cinnamon Sandwich Cookies were also amazing. I tried all the others (7 cookie recipes) and these two were our favorites!
see 1 more reviews