Hash Browns Beef Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine topping ingredients; spoon evenly over the meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I thought this was a pretty mediocre dish. Seemed like it needed something - some sort of sauce or something to hold the meat and vegetable mixture together. It was pretty dry. From start to finish it took about an hour and just wasn't worth it in the end. My kids ate the meat and potatoes part okay, but weren't too keen on the veggies. I didn't save the 3/4 pan full of leftovers because I knew they wouldn't eat it the second day if they barely touched it when it was fresh. And I didn't care to have any of the leftovers myself. I followed the recipe to a T using frozen carrots, peas and corn as my veggies.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a native Utahn. Been married 39 years. I like to read, listen to music (right now my favorite it Sarah Brightman also Golden Oldies, unforgettable crooners, music from the 60's, 70's and 80's), going for walks, concerts and plays, movies, going fishing with DH, or just going on scenic rides, most everything with my best friend (DH). I'm also a big scifi fan. My favorite cookbook is Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Magazines and their Annuals. My favorite web site is Recipezaar. If I had a month off I would like to travel. WHAT AM I SAYING!! I'm off all the time. LOL Just no green stuff to use to go traveling. Plus its hard to travel long distances with DH's bad back. My RAK WISH LIST: 1.) I love scented candles.Wouldn't mind trying some of the layered ones. 2.) Different kinds of jams or jellies 3.) Matching chef aprons for DH and me 4.) A note saying Hi! 5.) Chocolate/Candy 6.) Refrigerator Magnets 7.) Unique or Original items from different parts of the Country/World 8.) Scented Bubble Baths, Bath Salts, Moisturizers 9.) Essential oils 10.) Homemade Things 11.) Spices 12.) Music I'm really not a hard person to please (LOL).