Harvest Grain Blend for Bread
- Ready In:
- 1 cup rye flakes
- 1 cup wheat flakes
- 1 cup whole oat groats (also known as oat berries)
- 1 cup millet
- 1 cup barley (barley flakes, not barley) (optional)
- 1 cup seven-grain cereal (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed
- 1⁄2 cup sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- Mix all ingredients together. Store in tightly sealed container.
- To use, substitute mix flour, using 2 tbsp per 1 cup of flour. To use soaked (which will make it less crunchy, and more chewy), add 1 cup hot water to 2/3 cup of the mix, and allow to sit, covered overnight. Ensure when adding to your flour mix to subtract the water and mix from your recipe's water and flour.
Join The Conversation
Thank you so much! I was doing work research on the recent popularity of "Ancient Grains." I found this recipe and used it for my first wheat-alternative experiment. I love how versatile it is. Using your recipe I put together a large batch from the grain bins at my local hippie grocery store, replacing the couple of ingredients that weren't available with ones that were. I got about 6 lbs of the mixture for under $13. I subbed out 1/4 cup of the mixture in a simple bread machine egg bread recipe, and it has added wonderful texture and depth of flavor. Thanks again.
OK, so I am sitting here eating this mix and feeling like a bird. I am gonna get HUGE brownie points from the hubby on this one. He is always begging me to make bread with "whole wheat, high fiber bread with lots of seeds and nuts" and I am pretty sure this recipe will deliver just that!!!! I have stashed it away and will make it with some bread next week using your soak method. I did sub flax meal for the rye flakes and then subbed oatmeal for the flax seed. THANKS! Made as a recipenap for March 2010 Veggie Swap. UPDATE: I continue to use this in most of the breads I make as we love multi-grain breads. Most recently I used it in Recipe #412480, subbing out the nuts for this grain blend. YUMMO! We love it and I highly recommend it.