Hartson's Deep Fried Chicken Taquitos - Homemade
photo by Bryan Hartson
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 45mins
- 2 cups flour (Instant Masa Corn Flower)
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (large)
- 6 ounces marinade (Chef Merito Chicken Marinade, Marinador para Pollo)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 -6 cups vegetable oil
- 12 toothpicks
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 tortilla, press (alternate method in directions)
- In CROCK POT, add two large (rinsed) chicken breasts.
- Add Chef Merito Chicken Marinade, Marinador para Pollo to crock pot. Coat both sides of chicken (alternate seasonings can be substituted as desired. If a dry seasoning is used, add 6 oz chicken broth to crock pot).
- Set crock pot on HI and cook 4 hours, turning at least once.
- Remove chicken and shred (ok to let chicken cool). Set aside.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 352 degrees F. Use caution.
- In bowl, combine 2 cups Instant Mesa Corn Flower and 1 1/2 cup water. Mix 2 minutes or longer. Mix should form lightly into a ball. Add more water if needed 1 teaspoon at a time. Cover mixture when not in use with a damp towel.
- Remove approximately 1 1/2 oz (a small ball in the hand) and form into a ball. Place on tortilla press lined with plastic, both sides. If no tortilla press, you can place a piece of plastic on a smooth table, place the ball of mesa dough on top, place another piece of plastic on top followed by a hard smooth surface. compress together evenly for a thin layer. [zip lock bags work well as the plastic top and bottom. Simply cut away rought zip lot tops].
- Gently remove the top plastic cover from flattened flour mesa. Now, gently place flour mesa on open hand and peel back other piece of plastic (bottom cover). Place pressed flour mesa back onto one piece of plastic.
- ADD shredded chicken mix to pressed flour mesa lengthwise approximately 1/4 inch wide and 1/4 inch high on 1/3 area closest to you.
- Lift plastic from counter and fold flattened flour mesa area closest to you over the chicken mix away from you allowing the flattened flour mix to fold over and off of plastic. Use fingers (not thumb) to push-roll the flattened flour mesa over itself until you have a complete roll.
- Place a toothpick into end of flattened flour mesa to hold it on itself. Carefully move to a holding area.
- Repeat steps for additional flour mesa rolls.
- place 3 rolled flour mesa chicken rolls into deep fryer at a time and carefully deep fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oil ad drain.
- Plate 3 taquitos. Remove toothpick.
- Add mix of cheeses to top. If needed, microwave to melt approximately 30 seconds.
- Serve as is or add your favorite toppings (Onion; Guacamole; Enchilada sauce; Green Onion; etc.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am Bryan, a 50 year old, married 22 years (in 2017) and father of three, two girls (19 and 20 years, and one boy, 10. I retired in June 2016 and started documenting some of the recipes I've created. Thinking about going back into the work force (I'm bored). My work life revolved around two of my major jobs, both as a senior leader (you can check out my profile on LinkedIn.com if you're interested)