photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground pork
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped (I use frozen green pepper)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup medium grain rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, shredded
- In a skillet coated with spray oil, brown ground beef, onion, green pepper, and garlic until meat is browned. Drain off fat.
- Add rice; cook stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (except cheese).
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese, if desired. (We put the cheese on at the table.).
This had a lot more flavor than I expected; DH loved the heartiness of this. I diced in mushrooms I needed to use, added extra garlic, and used brown rice. B/c of the brown rice, I needed about a cup more of water and about 20 min more cooking time. This is a great weeknight staple. I paired with a tossed salad and green beans.
I needed a quick dinner for tonight and this looked good. I made the recipe as written other then I diced my onions up and used beef broth instead of water for a better flavor. I also only added 1/2 teaspoon of salt as one teaspoon seemed like a lot to me. I used brown minute rice as that is all I buy. I topped with cheddar cheese and served. This was a quick and easy dinner to make.